Microblading – How to Prepare and What to Expect
Follow these guidelines unless your Microblading technician directs otherwise.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, ibuprofen, aspirin and fish oil supplements for at least 24 hours prior to your appointment.
- Be prepared to lie very still for a long period of time. Many patients bring headphones to listen to music during their appointment.
- Wear comfortable clothing. Many of our patients like to bring a sweater to help keep them relaxed.
- Avoid waxing, threading or tweezing your eyebrows 5 days prior to procedure.
- Patients often find it helpful to bring in pictures of their ideal brow shape or color as it helps them to communicate their aesthetic goals with their microblading technician.
What to Expect During Your Microblading Procedure
A complimentary consultation will be performed prior to the procedure to discuss pertinent information and to assess your treatment goals. The brow shape and color is custom-made to your facial structure and preferences. At the beginning of the treatment, precise measurements are taken to define a symmetrical guide and a reference grid is placed on the brow area. A marking pencil is used to draw the outline of the new brow. Your Microblading technician will provide you with a mirror to review the guide with you at each step of the way to ensure the shape meets your desired outcome.
The technician will create your brow by hand, strand by strand to get to the shape that is made just for you. We take into account existing brow shape, your facial structure, and your preferences. Once we decide on the brow form, we consult on the color. A customized hue is mixed to order (we will track the formulation, for future touch-ups), from pigments made with FDA-certified ingredients made in the USA.
A topical numbing cream is applied that stays on for about 20 minutes. We use medical numbing creams that are FDA approved and highly effective. Most patients report that they have little to no discomfort during the treatment process. We will do everything we can to ensure you are comfortable during the treatment.
A special medical pen is used to draw on individual small, hair-shaped strokes one by one, inserting cosmetic pigments into the dermis layer of the skin. The shallow cuts are filled with highest-grade pharmaceutical pigments selected to match or darken arches. The treatment takes about 1 ½ -2 hours, with enough time to assess each step of the way.
After Your Microblading Procedure
- For 24 hours, keep the area dry and blot the brows once an hour with a tissue.
- Immediately post treatment, you will typically experience redness, tenderness and swelling of the skin, which will subside over 1-4 days. The treated area may feel a bit like sunburn afterwards In some cases, bruising may occur. The color and intensity will be darker and sharper immediately after the procedure. This will reduce by 30-50% over two weeks post treatment.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before touching the tattooed area.
- Apply our specially-made after-care Serum (for healing) and Cream (for protection) for the best results. Use a q-tip to apply to eyebrows 2-3 times per day for 10 days after the initial 24 hours.
- Skin will start to flake and itch after about 5 days. Do not pick at the brow when the color starts to peel. Color will start to lighten and appear blurry. After about 2 weeks, the color and definition will start to return and even out.
- Avoid sweat-inducing exercise and direct contact with water for 7 days.
- The use of cosmetics in the treatment area should be discontinued until the skin has fully healed.
- Avoid sun and UV exposure in the treatment area for 7 days post treatment, or until the skin has fully healed.
- Between the initial treatment and the Perfecting Session, you may experience peeling (typically noticeable only up close) and fading of the brow. This is natural and part of the treatment process. Be patient, even if you think too much color has been lost, as your skin is still regenerating and naturally exfoliating.
- The Perfecting Session should be scheduled within four to six weeks of the initial treatment. It is extremely important to ensure desired results are achieved.
Frequently Asked Questions About Microblading
How long do the results last?
Microblading is a semi-permanent treatment. However, results typically last up to 18 months. Hair color, skin type, after-care, and lifestyle also affect longevity of the results. Occasional touch-ups are a way to refresh the results. Done correctly, the treatments do not change color, and fade naturally away with time. For areas such as brows, this allows future flexibility with shape, as standards of beauty change.
Is Microblading safe?
All our pigments are cosmetic grade, meaning that they are sterilized and purified for cosmetic use. The ingredients used have been approved by the FDA for cosmetic use.